Friday, May 29, 2009

From Spring to Summer

I love this glorious time when spring turns into summer. Joseph has one more day of Preschool and we will miss it so much. I have been so happy with the school and his teacher and I just feel it was worth every penny. We learned which Elementary School Joseph will go to for Kindergarten in the fall, so I'm freaking out about that and so looking forward to relaxing this summer before that scary and nerve-racking transition. For the Mom, not for Joseph. He told me today that he wants to start Kindergarten right after Preschool is over. But I am already anxiety-ridden about starting my long-term relationship with the Public School system and giving up my baby to them. But I digress. We're talking about summer here! In pictures, here is our family's transition from spring to summer.Joseph loved flying his kite; the perfect spring activity.Yes, I'm going to bore you with all the pictures of my very first garden experience. These are my strawberries. When I took these pictures, I was all giddy about how everything was growing so well. But apparently, they've been growing a little too well and it turns out, I'm really just feeding the squirrels! See the strawberry that's just turning pink? After it ripened, I found it half-eaten in the soil. Same with the next one that ripened. So it's time to either move them to the greenhouse or Darren said he'd help me build a cage to go around them.And it'll probably start happening with my tomatoes here too once they pop out. Kind of a downer when you don't get to taste the fruits of your labor!My lettuce.So the last three things were grown from plant starts. But these are my cucumbers that grew from seeds.
And my carrots that finally popped up a little. I can see why people get into this. It's so satisfying to witness the magic of planting a seed and watching it grow. The squirrels won't dig up my carrots, right? I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just decided to put stuff in the dirt and see what happened. Enough garden talk. Look at my cute boys! The brothers having a good time in the tub after getting so dirty outside. And finally, what says summer better than a slip and slide?! My friend has one and invited us over (thanks, Shannon!) It was so fun to watch our boys enjoy it together in the summer heat we've had lately!JosephJustin

Happy Summer!

10 comments:

rose said...

gavin wanted to go straight to kindergatden too. and it doesn't help that they spent a day visiting his soon to be class- so he is SUPER excited to go. how did they get so big???
oh and just put some chicken wire around your garden stuff- it's cheap and easily bended so it works well. the bunnies here don't eat ANY of our stuff. they only eat the cactus. weirdos. but birds eat our tomatoes- so watch for them too.

Emily said...

Wow, I am speechless looking at your garden...GOOD JOB!!! Those squirrels will be well fed. But hopefully they will leave them alone so you can eat it all!

Those boys are too cute and I love that they like the slip n slide. Easton would be terrified I'm sure.

Jonathan and Michelle said...

I love the pictures! And I am impressed with the garden, I haven't gotten into that but Jonathan has so hopefully his will look as successful as yours!

Ketsy said...

It definitely FEELS like summer is here! I am jealous of your garden and hope you can keep the critters away.

Jennie Minor said...

WOW!!! You have a little green thumb! LOVE IT! I wish I had a garden here, but my backyard isn't big enough (in fact...I don't really have a back yard.)
Love the pics of the boys on the slip n slide. I can't believe Joseph is 5! I remember going to the hospital when he was born! Hope he had a happy bday!

Carol and Bruce said...

Jill, I'm so proud of you, your garden looks great. Keep it up! I'm so glad Joseph loved pre school and now he won't have any problem going to Kindergarten, you on the other hand will probably be so sad at first, I know I was.

Love the pictures, especially the bath tub one. Love them so much and miss them. Great talking to you last night:)

Lisette said...

Your lettuce looks amazing, keep up the good work.

Jenni.Woodmansee said...

oh my gosh those slip and slide pictures are SO SO CUTE!!!!!!! I love them!!!! I cannot believe he is going to Kindergarden, Jill. It's crazy! I'm so glad you got it all figured out though, because I know that was a lot of added stress.

Also, your garden is amazing. I'm so proud of you! Now, I can call you for tips when I learn how :)

Stephanie said...

Jill, I love your little garden. I wish I had a little more space to grow some tomatoes and strawberies. Your boys are so cute and your brother has grown up so much since the last time I saw a picture of him. So Darren is in the bishopric huh? Tell him good luck with that, and for you too. I don't think sitting alone with 2 little ones at church would be too fun. I'm sure you have them under control though.

Carol and Bruce said...

Hey Jilly. good job. I understand garden pests. Mostly I have problems with slugs and snails. As you stay with it from year to year, you will find out what works and what doesn't. Love ya Grandpa.................